Discerning the Voice of God by Priscilla Shirer, 2017 edition, The Holy Spirit
Question: What small thing did God ask you to do this week? Did you say, “Yes, Lord”?
What small thing did God ask you to do this week? Did you say, “Yes, Lord”?
One of Billy Graham’s closest friends said, “People in Old Testament questioned whether there was a God; people in the New Testament questioned whether who Jesus was; people in our time question whether there is a Holy Spirit.”
A wise long ago Christian writer, Hannah Whittall Smith said, The Holy Spirit usually chooses to speak through impressions on our mind and heart, through His Word and through words from trusted Christian friends/family.
mind, will, emotions
1. Look for the message of the Spirit. Discernment takes time, patience and practice.
2. Live in the mode of prayer. Don’t talk to others about something more than you talk to God about it.
3. Search out the model of Scripture. Does your decision contradict your conscience and/or Word of God—you are not hearing correctly.
4. Submit to the ministry of Eli to Samuel. Seek the counsel of a wise, more mature believer.
5. Expect the mercy of confirmation. Ask God to confirm His internal
Word with external evidence—circumstances, his Word or through another person.
Practice seeking the face of God not the hand of God. Priscilla calls it seeking God’s will when we can be seeking God.
“The red light of conviction is God’s way of saying Stop.”
“The yellow light of “dis-ease” means Wait.”
“ A green light of ease and peace is His way of saying Go.”
Verses for this week:
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. Romans 12: 1-2.
May God Himself, the God of peace sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul, and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Thessalonians 5:23.
Take 10 minutes this week to write about one of the parts presented tonight=The Concentric circles, The Stoplight, or another choice.